I would constantly struggle to think of new healthy breakfast recipes and so would avoid preparing one. Having healthy breakfast in the morning has amazing health benefits. We all know this, but most of the times we are either in a hurry to rush to the office or to drop kids to school we just grab some cereal or have caffeinated drinks like tea and coffee and get on with daily work.
I have realised this is a huge mistake with experience. Various studies have proved that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But that doesn’t meet you will consume high-calorie sugary food like a bowl of cereal loaded with sugar or a doughnut. Rather consuming a meal loaded with vitamin, protein, minerals, fibre and fatty acids can do wonders for your body.
A breakfast containing necessary nutrients in the right portion size kickstarts your metabolism and helps burn calories throughout the day. I have also realised that having a healthy breakfast keeps me energised throughout the day and also helps me focus.
Mistakes regarding breakfast choices
Skipping breakfast is a huge mistake. You need food in your system long before lunchtime. If you don’t eat first thing, you may get so hungry later on that you snack on high-fat, high-sugar foods.
Most people eat packaged food for breakfast. That’s a huge mistake. Always prepare a fresh breakfast. Your breakfast should contain adequate carbohydrates, protein, healthy fats and fibre. Carbs will give you energy right away and the protein will give it to you later on. Fibre helps in feeling full.
Benefits of a healthy breakfast
- Blood sugar levels are generally low on waking up, a healthy breakfast helps to replenish the need for glucose in the body
- It makes you feel more energetic throughout the day.
- Helps in better memory and concentration
- Boosts metabolism
- Burns more calories throughout the day
- Reduces chances of getting cardiovascular diseases
- Reduces chances of getting diabetes
- Lowers the level of LDL (bad) cholesterol
How To plan your breakfast
Most of the times due to lack of time and planning we skip breakfast. Here are few pointers to keep in mind so you do not skip the most important meal of the day. And I will also share 30 Breakfast Recipes ideas so you are sorted for a month.
- Plan ahead. Keep your Saturday mornings to plan for the entire week. This will give you enough time to prepare batters. Also, you can shop for the groceries required and keep all the ingredients ready.
- Decide the next day breakfast menu the previous evening. So, you can do all the soaking, grinding preparations in advance. Most of the times for all south Indian breakfast recipes these preparations are required a day in advance.
- Variety is the spice of life. Thus, plan a varied menu. Like if you have one particular dosa recipe, one type of paratha recipe, one chilla recipe and a salad recipe for one week you will not need to repeat the similar item again the entire month. Try different cuisines.
- In case you have to leave early and don’t have time to eat breakfast, choose a recipe which can be packed and carry it along with you. But do not compromise on breakfast.
- I know this is difficult to follow due to busy schedules and challenges of living in big cities, still, I insist to have breakfast along with the entire family. Family bonding early in the morning will keep you cheerful the entire day.
- And on very busy days, drink smoothies or milkshakes but do not step out on an empty stomach. Now coming to,
What to prepare daily in the morning?
Here are 30 Breakfast Ideas:
- Rava Upma
- Idli & Sambar
- Ragi Dosa
- Scrambled eggs
- Vegetable Omelette
- Boiled eggs
- Banana Pancake
- Eggless Sweet Pancake
- Fruit Smoothies
- Paneer Paratha
- Mix Veg Paratha
- Methi paratha
- Palak Paratha
- Besan chilla
- Moong Dal chilla
- Rava Chilla
- Methi Chilla
- Chickpeas salad
- Paneer & Bell Peppers Salad
- Scrambled Paneer
- Brown bread Vegetable Sandwich
- Peas and Potato Sandwich
- Oats Dosa
- Oats Idli
- Rava Idli
- Vermicelli Upma
- Masala Appe
Few healthy Breakfast Recipes
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 7- 10 minutes
1 cup Ragi Flour
½ cup Rice Flour
¼ cup Curd
¼ or ½ cup Water
Few chopped Green Chillies/ Green chilli-ginger paste (as per taste)
Coriander leaves (optional but desirable)
Salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients well in a bowl.
- Make a thin batter of pouring consistency. Check consistency. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Grease a non-stick pan with Ghee/oil.
- When the pan is hot enough, pour the batter. Fill up gaps if any. Do not spread the batter like Dosa, the batter just has to be poured. Similar to a Rava Dosa.
- Allow cooking on a medium flame till the sides begin to separate from the pan. Flip and cook the other side as well. You can add ghee again if you desire while flipping.
- Your Ragi dosa is ready.
- Re-grease the pan before pouring the batter for making another dosa. Also, make sure you mix the batter again before pouring.
Serve with Coconut Chutney/Coriander Chutney.
Chickpeas and Paneer Salad.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1 cup pre-soaked (overnight) and boiled chickpeas
50 grams Paneer
1 medium size carrot / ½ cup grated carrot
¼ part of medium size beet-root / ½ cup grated beetroot
Peri-peri spices for flavouring (as per taste)
Black pepper powder (as per taste)
Salt (as per taste) / Rock Salt
- Soak chickpeas overnight. Boil them in the morning.
- Grate carrot and beetroot
- Cut Paneer in small pieces or grate it as per choice.
- Mix all ingredients
- Your healthy bowl of salad with the right amount of protein and fibre with all essential nutrients is ready to serve.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup – 1 cup Water
Honey (as per taste)
- Prepare the batter of wheat flour. Keep a flowing consistency. Mix water gradually to avoid forming lumps.
- Add chopped banana.
- Mix the batter well using a hand blender. Add water if required to get the desired consistency.
- Heat the non-stick pan on medium flame. Once hot, add ghee and grease it. Pour the batter and let it cook until sides separate from the pan.
- Turn the pancake and let it cook.
- Once ready, drizzle honey on it.
- Prepare another pancake, place it above the first one and drizzle more honey.
- Your sweet healthy pancake is ready to serve.
I hope these easy breakfast recipes and ideas are useful to you when you plan your daily breakfast.
Your kids watch you and learn so inculcate this habit of not skipping breakfast to raise healthy kids.
One more thing- If you are constantly on a move then check out this portable hand blender which can be used to mix your juices and smoothies at work as well.
Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer: There are affiliate links in the post. If you click on the link I will receive a small commission. This will help support this website and will in no way increase the cost of the product.