Do you think cooking is an art and love to be creative while cooking? If yes, then culinary arts would be a right career option for you.
As a professional culinary expert, one needs to know about nutrition, culinary science, planning meals as per dietary requirements and the art of presenting food. There are different responsibilities one may have to take up depending on the job role, starting from preparing food, baking, presentation of food, supervision of kitchen etc.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Plan, direct, or supervise food preparation or cooking activities of multiple kitchens or restaurants in an establishment such as a restaurant chain, hospital, or hotel.
- Decide about the presentation of food is presented and create decorative food display.
- Prepare and cook foods of all types.
- Create new recipes.
- Check the quality of raw or cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
- Estimate costs of required ingredients and other kitchen supplies.
- Instruct cooks in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, or presentation of food.
- Supervise or coordinate activities of cooks or workers engaged in food preparation.
- Inspect supplies, equipment and work areas to ensure it meets the required industry standards.
- Determine production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure the timely delivery of services..
- Assign prices to the items on the menu based on food, labour, and overhead costs.
- Meet with sales representatives to negotiate prices or order supplies.
- Recruit and hire staff, such as cooks and other kitchen assistants.
Key Skills required
- Cooking and baking techniques
- Garnishing skills
- Knife skills
- Food carving
- Plate presentation
- Restaurant management.
- Culinary Chef
- Pastry Chef
How to pursue a career in Culinary Arts
|Class XII in any stream||Pursue BA. Culinary Arts/ Hotel Management Catering & Technology (HMCT) for 4 years||Pursue Diploma/Post Grad Diploma for 6 months to 1 year|
|Class XII in any stream||Pursue BBA in Hospitality and Culinary Education B. Sc. in Catering and Culinary Arts for 3 years||Pursue Diploma/Post Grad Diploma for 6 months to 1 year|
|Class XII in any stream||Pursue Diploma in Chef’s Management/ Diploma or Degree in Hotel Management for 3 years||Pursue Diploma/Post Grad Diploma in chef’s management for 1 year|
Top Colleges to Study Culinary Arts
- IHM Aurangabad
- IHM Meerut
- The Oberoi
- Culinary Academy of India – [CAI], Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Hotel Management and Culinary Arts – [IIHMCA], Hyderabad
- Allied Institute of Hotel Management and Culinary Arts (AIHMCA)
- Goa College of Hospitality and Culinary Education , North Goa
- Hotel and Catering Management Institute
- Manipal University, Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration – [WGSHA], Manipal
- Chandigarh Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Chandigarh
Did you find this information useful? If so, keep reading my blog posts through April for the #BlogchatterA2Z challenge.
Also, visit www.educareerguide.com for career guidance.
Do read my other posts for the BlogchatterA2Z.