Journalism is a dynamic, fast paced and a very competitive field. However, it should be known that India is one of the fastest-growing countries in the field of journalism and media having more than 900+ permitted private news/television channels. This has created innumerable opportunities and job prospects for the students pursuing journalism. The current trends predict an increasing scope in career as a journalist in digital media, news apps, and digital newspapers.
Roles And Responsibilities
- Cover a wide variety of stories
- Research a story’s background information to uncover interesting and significant news to provide complete and accurate information.
- Schedule and conduct interviews with key people to obtain information about your story.
- Establish and maintain a relationship with credible resources to gather relevant information.
- Maintain notes and audio recordings.
- Reading press releases.
- Plan, edit and write stories to be broadcasted or published.
- Broadcast or publish your story using different mediums like TV, radio, newspaper blog etc.
- Specialise in a segment of news like sports news, crime news, political news etc.
- Liasing with editors, sub-editors, designers and photographers to verify statements and facts.
- Coordinate with internal and external team to broadcast/publish news on time.
Key Skills Required
- Verbal Communication
- Presentation skills
- Media planning
- Copy Writing
- Public relations
- Freelance Writer
- Newspaper editor
- technical writer
- Photo Journalist
- Public Relations Specialist
- Social media specialist
How To Pursue A Career In Journalism
|Stream||Graduation||After Graduation||After Post-Graduation|
|Class XII in any stream||Bachelors in Mass Communication||Masters in Mass Communication|
|Class XII in any stream||Bachelors in Journalism||Masters in Journalism|
|Class XII in any stream||B.A in Political Science||Masters in Mass Communication/Journalism|
|Class XII in any stream||Bachelors in Mass Communication/ Journalism||PG diploma in Journalism||Certificate in Copy Writing|
Top Colleges For Journalism
- University of Delhi – [DU], New Delhi
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University – [GGSIPU], New Delhi
- St. Xavier’s College – [SXC], Kolkata
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women – [LSR], New Delhi
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication, Pune
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Madras Christian College – [MCC], Chennai
- Banasthali Vidyapith, Jaipur
- Delhi College of Arts and Commerce – [DCAC], New Delhi
- Jagran Institute of Management and Mass Communication – [JIMMC], Noida
Did you find this information useful? If so, keep reading my blog posts through April for the #BlogchatterA2Z challenge.
Also, visit www.educareerguide.com for career guidance.
Do read my other posts for the BlogchatterA2Z.