A Librarian plays an essential role to collect, organise, maintain the varied information in the form of books, videos, audios and digital files. Library and Information Science (LIS) is an interdisciplinary field that applies the practices, perspectives, and tools of management, information technology, education, and other areas to libraries.
The career in library includes areas like library and information systems management, classification/cataloguing systems, bibliography, documentation, preservation and conservation of manuscript, collection management, information systems and technology, research methodology, computer applications, reference, statistics and management, information processing, archives management, indexing, library planning, etc.
Roles And Responsibilities
- Select and purchase materials and prepare those materials by classifying them according to subject matter
- Use library systems and specialist computer applications.
- Supervise assistants who prepare cards, computer records, or other access tools that direct users to resources;
- Collect and organise books, pamphlets, manuscripts, and other materials in a specific field, such as rare books, genealogy, or music
- Co-ordinating with departmental academic staff, external organisations and suppliers
- Recruit, hire, train and terminate departmental personnel.
- Plan, administer and control budgets for the library.
- Establish operational policies and procedures.
- Participate in faculty and college committee activities.
- Represent institutions at community and campus events with other institution personnel during accreditation processes.
- Promote the university by participating in the community, which includes state and national events or meetings.
- Develop partnerships with industry and secondary education institutions.
Key Skills required
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
- Research Skills
- Organising Skills
- Cataloging Skills
- Communication Skills
- Ability to understand user’s needs
Types of Library Science professionals
- Library Attendant
- Library Assistant
- Semi-Professional Assistant
- Junior Librarian/Professional Assistant
- Assistant Librarian
- Deputy Librarian
- Librarian/Chief Librarian
- Researcher/Scientists/Application Specialist
- Consultant/Reference Librarian
- Cataloguer/Technical Assistant/Records Manager
- Director/Head Of Information Centre
- Senior Information Analyst
- Junior Information Analyst
- Senior Library Information Assistant
- Law Librarian
- Information architect
- Public/Government libraries
- Universities/collages/schools and other academic institutions
- News agencies and organisations
- Private organisations and special libraries
- Foreign embassies
- Photo/film/radio/television libraries
- Information centres/documentation centres
- Companies and organisations with large information handling requirements
- Museums and galleries, which have reading rooms and research facilities
Law library/Special library, etc.
How To Pursue A Career As A Librarian
|Class XII (any stream)||Bachelors in Library Science||Masters in Library Science|
|Class XII (any stream)||Diploma in Library Management|
Top colleges To Study Library Science
There are around 500+ universities in India which offer a course in Library Science. Here are a top few.
- Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapeeth, Varanasi
- Punjab University
- Gujarat University;
- Madurai Kamaraj University, Tamil Nadu
- Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
- Arya Vidyapeeth Kanya Mahavidyalaya, Bharatpur (Rajasthan)
- Savitribai Phule Pune University
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Delhi University ( Post-Grad Program)
Did you find this information useful? If so, keep reading my blog posts through April for the #BlogchatterA2Z challenge.
Also, visit www.educareerguide.com for career guidance.
Do read my other posts for the BlogchatterA2Z.