Optometrists are primary health care specialists trained to examine the eyes to detect defects in vision, signs of injury, ocular diseases or abnormality. The main point to be noted here is that an optometrist is not a doctor. Their primary responsibility is to diagnose eye-related defects like near-sightedness, farsightedness, or other visual impairments.
Roles And Responsibilities
- Examine eyes, using observation, instruments to determine visual acuity and perception, focus and coordination and to diagnose diseases and other abnormalities such as glaucoma or colour blindness.
- Prescribe, supply, fit and adjust eyeglasses, contact lenses and other vision aids.
- Analyse test results and develop a treatment plan.
- Remove foreign bodies from the eye.
- Educate and counsel patients on contact lens care, visual hygiene, lighting arrangements and safety factors.
- Consult with and refer patients to ophthalmologist or other health care practitioner if additional medical treatment is determined necessary.
- Provide patients undergoing eye surgeries, such as cataract and laser vision correction, with pre- and post-operative care.
- Provide vision therapy and low vision rehabilitation.
- Evaluation of patient’s medical conditions such as diabetes or hypertension, and refer patients to other healthcare providers as needed.
Key Skills Required
- Treatment planning
- Critical thinking
- Quality control analysis
- Problem solving ability
- Supervisory skills
- Eye Clinic Manager
- Independent Contractor
- Owner of Optometry practice
How To Pursue A Career In Optometry
|Stream||Graduation||After Graduation||After Post-Graduation|
|Class XII with Science( Biology)||Bachelors in Optometry
|Masters In Optometry
|Doctorate in Optometry
|Class XII with Science( Biology)||B.Sc. Optometry||M.Sc Optometry||Doctorate in Optometry
|Class XII with Science( Biology)||Diploma in Ophthalmic Assitance/Technology||Post Graduate Diploma/B.Optom|
Top Colleges To Study Optometry
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences – [AIIMS], New Delhi
- Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi
- Christian Medical College – [CMC], Vellore
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research – [JIPMER], Pondicherry
- JSS Academy of Higher Education & Research – [JSS University], Mysore
- Noida International University – [NIU], Gautam Budh Nagar
- NIMS University, Jaipur
- Madhav University – [MU], Sirohi
- Government Medical College, Kozhikode
- Pt Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences – [PGIMS], Rohtak
For Post Graduation
- Kerala University of Health Sciences – [KUHS], Thrissur
- Eastern Institute for Integrated Learning in Management – [EIILM University], West Sikkim
- CMJ University, Shillong
- Career Point University – [CPU], Kota
- Maharishi Markandeshwar – [MMDU] Mullana, Ambala
- Institute of Public Health and Hygiene – [IPHH], New Delhi
- ADN Medical College and Paramedical Science, Nagpur
- ITM Institute of Health Sciences, Raigarh
- Manipal University, School of Allied Health Sciences, Manipal
- Apex Professional University – [APU], Pasighat
Did you find this information useful? If so, keep reading my blog posts through April for the #BlogchatterA2Z challenge.
Also, visit www.educareerguide.com for career guidance.
Do read my other posts for the BlogchatterA2Z.